[Xmca-l] Re: PDF Document Sociocultural and Feminist Theory_ Mutuality and Relevance.pdf

White, Phillip Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu
Sun Apr 24 15:01:51 PDT 2016

greetings, everyone.  i can only image that the participants of xmca have been waiting with baited breath to hear the results of my gefilte fish for last friday's seder - and i can only repeat, so that you know that i'm not fishing for compliments, that the gentleman in his late seventies who was seated next to me (my son's mother-in-law's cousin's husband) said, "This gefilte fish is better than my Kiev born grandmother, and she was a great cook!"

however, to join in the swim or current postings, Vera's conclusion is quite to the point, so that i'm pasting it in here:

"In the beginning of this chapter, I suggested that traditional psychological and economic
models of human agents as lone, competitive actors are losing influence. Increasingly, interdependence between persons is recognized as central to individual and societal functioning. Both cultural-historical and feminist theorists place the social sources of development, or "self-in-re1ation" as central within their framework. There are shared themes and complementarity, as well as different emphases across these two groups of theorists. Feminists' concerns with developmental and relational dynamics are not explicitly shared by scholars studying mind, culture and activity. However, in looking for areas of mutuality , we broaden our ways of knowing, and, in the process, may construct a new synthesis between thought and motive, and cognition and emotion."

i read this conclusion as a call for those scholars studying mind, culture and activity to actively collaborate with critical theorists, critical race theorist, queer theorists, so that, as Helena Worthem is advocating, our work can be closer to the bone of contemporary events.

phillip