[Xmca-l] Re: Agent, Range, and Beneficiary

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 23:17:34 PDT 2016

Greg:

I think the main way in which the NAME "Vygotsky" is propagated in Korea is
through a very successful private cram school that specializes in child
literacy. There are Vygotsky cards and Vygotsky songs and expensive
Vygotsky daycare centres and so on. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xLnX_-UQfY

There are also a lot of books ABOUT Vygotsky, but, as you surmise, they
tend to reflect the interpretations of American scholars. (After we
published our translation of "Thinking and Speech" a group of Russian
professors at Korea University got together and translated--Minick's
ENGLISH translation of the book! There is also a translation of Hanfmann
and Vakar's English translation available.)

Our books, which are actually BY Vygotsky, are mostly read by radical
teachers, many supporters of the banned teachers' union. There have been a
number of books put out by radical teachers ABOUT our books: "How to
Read 'Thinking and Speech: An Easy Way" (which is, by the way, not an easy
book to read--it's mostly a set of quotations from Vygotsky which teachers
discuss in group study). Last year some teachers put together a collection
on HDHMF called "Vygotsky: A Relational Pedagogy". These books sell in the
thousands, but not in the tens of thousands.

Is the Korean Vygotsky different from the American one? He's not an
activity theorist, and he's also not a Piagetian, or a neo-behaviorist. In
fact, he's not really a psychologist at all. I suppose he's quite close the
European Vygotsky: a pedologist with a very strong linguistic bent and a
Marxist background, attractive to left-wing teachers, repellent to
professors, and repugnant to the government (remember that the current
regime expelled the third largest opposition labor party from government,
dissolved it, and gave the leaders twelve year prison sentences....). As a
result I would say we have little or no impact on Korean scholars, and that
is probably the biggest difference between our Vygotsky and yours.

Andy Blunden kindly offered to publish English versions of our books on the
Marxists.org website, but he wants us to remove the annotations. To tell
you the truth, over half of our books are made up of annotations, because
without the annotations, our readers have a hard time studying him (as
"Thinking and Speech the Easy Way" attests--the first book only had
endnotes and not marginal annotations!) And people DO meet and study him:
one of our group is currently teaching Vygotsky to a regular class of
part-time "Paduk" teachers (that is, teachers of the Japanese game of "Go"!)

David Kellogg
Macquarie University