[Xmca-l] Re: Agent, Range, and Beneficiary

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 22:48:26 PDT 2016

Alfredo:

Glad you asked! All the covers of our books are by the same artist,
described below, who specialized in rural schools. With every cover we
usually have a note on the inside jacket in which we thank the Russian
museum which donated the painting and explain how we think it's connected
to the book. Here's what we wrote this time (more or less):

"The cover picture, “Visitors”, by Nikolai Bogdanov-Belsky (1868-1945), was
generously provided by the Museum of Art of Arkhangel in Russia. It is one
of a whole series of paintings done by the artist on the theme of village
children visiting a teacher. In this picture, the children are visiting the
teacher on the day of lanterns, a Russian holiday which celebrates the
risen Christ and which also celebrates Christ’s first miracle, which was
turning water into wine at the Wedding in Cana.

"Vygotsky uses this metaphor in one of his earliest books, “The Psychology
of Art”, to describe how human imagination does not simply reproduce images
or recombine them (as Christ does later when he multiplies the loaves and
fishes). Imagination can’t be explained by the socialization of an everyday
experience. Instead, imagination (which includes the creation of academic
concepts as well as higher aesthetic ones) is better explained at the
reverse process: The individuation of a supra-individual experience.
Creating academic concepts and higher aesthetic feelings are not so much
like multiplying ordinary loaves and everyday fishes; they are more like
turning the water of everyday life into wine.

"Notice how different the children's expressions are: curious, expectant,
and even a little suspicious. Note how this is liked to but distinct from
their "calendar" or "passport" age. Vygotsky sees psychological development
as the child’s individuation of the cultural endowment. In this book,
Vygotsky begins to show us what a very long journey that is, how many ages
it takes, and how many times the path twists and turns back upon itself in
crises. "

And here's what the other covers look like:

http://www.aladin.co.kr/shop/common/wseriesitem.aspx?SRID=25565

I don't see anything wrong with ideas like "scaffolding", or "mediation",
or "psychological tools". But I think that if we really do admire the ideas
and not simply the name, we need to understand that none of these are
originally his, and in fact he devotes quite a few pages of Chapter Two in
HDHMF to why "psychological tools" should not be used.

I don't think people HAVE to like Vygotsky--you are free to prefer Bruner
if you want to discuss scaffolding, and Hegel if you want to mention
mediation, and Bodrova and Leong or Descartes if you want to talk about
psychological tools. Actually, all of those names will give you better
street cred in Korean universities, and probably elsewhere too.

But the zone of proximal development is a diagnostic device, and it's
measured in years when Vygotsky formulates it. Shouldn't we find out why
before we decide he didn't know what he was talking about?

David Kellogg

Macquarie University