[Xmca-l] Re: Dynamics of Developmental Change

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 10 08:05:08 PDT 2015

Great history lesson, David. Thanks. Shakespeare and Schopenhaur. Wow!
But I fear I misled you by my use of the word, contemporary. I was
referring to 2015, not 1925 or 1885. Its been a while since I have reviewed
the literature on neonatal reflexes and their transformations, so I checked
a recent text (Bornstein and Lamb- *Developmental Science: An advanced
textbook (2015)*. There is an interesting article there by Karen Adolph and
a colleague on sensory motor development (ch5) that has a good summary.
Very interesting and so far as i can tell, perfectly compatible with
emphasis on brain development in the transition to life on the outside and
some version of a story about the increasing role cortical structures
following a stage-like reorganization at 2-3 months. Particularly
intriguing are reflexes present at birth that disappear and then reappear
as constituents of more complex forms of behavior.

Sorry my attempt to advance the discussion was a misdirection. Better luck
next time. Perhaps we could discuss offline unless others want to pursue
this issue.

Might examination of the notion of primary intersubjectivity provide a more
useful avenue of investigation? Not sure.

mike