[Xmca-l] Re: Dynamics of Developmental Change

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:45:00 PDT 2015

I assume that when Mike says "contemporary" he is talking about Vygotsky's
contemporaries. It's always very hard for me to resist the temptation to do
"Wikipedia" footnotes about the founding fathers of infant psychology--they
are a very colorful bunch, and many of them heroic although quite wrong.
Rudolf Virchow, for example, discovered leukemia and invented the autopsy.
But he was also a bit of a crank: he didn't believe that diseases were
caused by germs at all, and he insisted that all disease was cause by
social inequality (this sounded a lot truer in the nineteenth century when
TB was a leading cause of death). He had himself elected to parliament and
made himself so unpopular with Bismarck that he was challenged to a duel.
Since he thought duelling was barbaric, he produced two raw pork sausages,
one of which was infected with trichinosis, and offered Bismarck a choice.
Bismarck declined.

Anyway, Virchow believed that infants are essentially "spinal"--all
functions are decided "reflex arcs" in the spinal cord and not in the brain
at all. Vygotsky thinks that only unimportant reflexes take place there,
but he also thinks that there is a gradual movement of the crucial
"gap"--the bridging point of the reflex arc--from the pallidum to the
striatum to the cortex, and that this pretty much explains how children are
able to sit up, and eventually walk.

There are two key figures in mapping the cortex. One of them is
Flechsig--the fellow who was accused of "bewitching" a judge with
homosexual impulses and who Freud defended. The other was Foerster, who was
Lenin's personal surgeon during his last illness. Foerster wasn't a
neurosurgeon at all: like Virchow he was more interested in the contagious
diseases of the poor, but during he war the main contagion was traumatic
bullet wounds, and, not being a surgeon, he had the brilliant idea of using
only local anaesthetics while he did brain surgery so that he could talk to
patients as he was stimulating various parts of the cortex. This allowed
him to produce a much more detailed map than Flechsig's, and that was
eventually got him a job in the Kremlin.

I think Vygotsky is reacting AGAINST a reaction. He actually starts with
Shakespeare and Schopenhauer. They have tended to approach the problem of
infancy as a matter of explaining why we weep when we enter the world and
laugh when we leave. The reaction to this is to treat the infant as
essentially brainless, and Vygotsky is very interested in re-establishing
the role of the brain, although I rather doubt the theory, apparently taken
over wholesale from Nazi psychologists like Kretschmer, that specific
structures like the pallidum, and the stratium, just hand their functions
up to the cortex. It's clear to me that grammaticization takes place in the
cortex (my mother is suffering from stroke related dementia, and it's had a
catastrophic effect on her grammar). Hence Halliday (but I'm afraid I don't
have any pdfs--just my hardbound collected works--and since I got fired
it's pretty hard for me to scan stuff without getting caught).

David Kellogg