[Xmca-l] Re: Dynamics of Developmental Change

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:37:57 PDT 2015

It's astonishing to me how much of this is in Vygotsky's chapter on infancy
and also in his work on The Crisis at One.

a) Vygotsky vigorously denies that the newborn is a purely instinctive
being; he argues precisely the opposite, that the evidence is that the
newborn's instincts are extremely weak, and even those that exist (to do
with feeding and positioning) are not "spinal", "medullar", or even purely
"midbrain" in their mediation but instead linked to an undeveloped cortex.

b) Vygotsky says that most writers on infancy consider that social smiling
is the THE key milestone which marks off the newborn period from infancy.
Vygotsky says it isn't. Infancy begins with "receptive interest in the
world", and it is only reciprocated in later periods of infancy (what
Halliday calls proto-conversation).

c) In HDHMF, Vygotsky tries to work out a typology of the different forms
of higher cultural behavior. He does this through the method Andy calls
immanent critique: he takes Thorndike's two level scheme and finds it
doesn't explain intellect at all; he then adopts Buhler's three level
scheme and finds that, 1) Buhler over-extends it to cover both humans and
animals and both children and adults, and 2) it doesn't explain volition at
all, since intellect too is a form of adaptation. In the infancy chapter,
Vygotsky argues that the roots of ALL of the forms of behavior (instinct,
habit, intellect and volition) are right there in infancy--in the form of
affect.

Halliday too argues against the "blank slate": he points out that each of
the different grammatical forms associated with what appears in Vygotsky as
crises and stable age periods has a "proto-" period ( which in my scheme
corresponds to the crisis) and a "proper" period (which corresponds to the
stable period).

                              CRISIS                  STABLE PERIOD

newborn                 protoconversation

infancy                                                 conversation proper

one                        protolanguage

early childhood                                      language proper

crisis at three         protonarrative/dialog

preschool                                              narrative and
dialogue proper

crisis at seven       protodiscourse
                            (academic wording)

school age                                            discourse proper

crisis at 13             prototurn taking
                           (grammatical metaphor,
                             variation, register,
                             social dialect)
puberty                                                   turn-taking proper

Halliday, M.A.K. (1978) Meaning and the Construction of Reality. In Modes
of Perceiving and Processing Information (H.L. Pick and E. Saltzman Eds),
Hillside, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, pp. 67-96, Also in the Collected Works of
M.A.K. Halliday, Voll 4, pp. 113-143).

David Kellogg