[Xmca-l] Re: Dynamics of Developmental Change

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Tue Sep 8 09:07:56 PDT 2015

Thank you, Mike -- and Martin and Sheila!
Good material to think with and a nudge to look again at Barbara Means' baby reports.
Tangentially, you know those strollers for babies that are reversible -- the reclining baby can be looking toward the person pushing the stroller or with a switch the baby can be looking at the same world the pusher sees?   Maybe different affordances for proto-conversations within one wider culture (don't know of any studies) and possible mini-impacts on developments like smiling?
Peg

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+peg.griffin=att.net@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+peg.griffin=att.net@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Monday, September 07, 2015 3:20 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Dynamics of Developmental Change

I have been trying to think of a way to more concretely engage David's developmental domainsxstages table. One of David's stage margins is at 3 months and there is ample reason for arguing for the existence a stage shift in development at this time. (My wife and I wrote about it in just this way in our textbook).
However, there is also a lot of interesting, newer, evidence showing the cultural-historical contingency of the changes that underpinned the developmental literature for several decades.

I thought that perhaps this example, since it is pretty well worked out, might help us get at the issues David raised. I believe this work could usefully be related to notions of zopeds, but am not sure.

This rather long fragment is taken from a recent article that Martin and I wrote.

mike

(For this one, not only Boesch but Waddington are apt: The latter having written that every new level of development implies a new, relevant,
context.)

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object that creates history. Ernst Boesch