[Xmca-l] Re: Objective and Subjective ZPDs

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Sep 6 21:19:03 PDT 2015

Great article by Seth, David. So thoroughly researched and
clearly explained.
I think the problem with the notion of subjective and
objective ZPDs is that like many others before him Seth has
mixed up the subjective/objective distinction with the
categories of universal, individual and particular, which is
also why we get the "more or less" entering into what is
supposed to be objective. A N Leontyev does the same thing
with meanings which are "more or less objective".
The culturally and historically normative is universal; that
is what "universal" means. Like "normative" it does not mean
"objective", as if every individual had the same one. They
don't.
What Seth calls the "subjective" ZPD should be called
"individual." It is no more subjective than the so-called
"objective ZPD.
What is missing is that the universal it only manifested in
the "particular" conditions of each family, school, etc.,
and it is this particular which is actual (=acting) for the
given child, and not "more or less" active.
ZPD is best retained, I think, as the concept which is both
subjective and objective and inseparably so. Talking about
subjective *and* objective ZPDs may have heuristic and
pedagogical value, but I think it can, in the end, also
contribute to confusion.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/