[Xmca-l] Re: Interesting to think about: the social springs of giving

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Oct 20 02:17:49 PDT 2015

I watched the story.
I already knew about Make-a-Wish so it was no surprise, but
Mike's point was of course the way MaW became a vehicle for
a fantastic wave of building social fabric.
XMCAers are all going to be interested in any idea which can
lead to building this kind of *trust* in a community. Trust
is basically what "social capital" is, but the point is only
how does one go about *building* that trust? Robert Putnam
says almost any doing-something-together will have this
effect, and took choir groups as his typical example.
Personally, I think MaW would do better than choir groups,
but that's not the point. Putnam's own data in his original
study in Italy actually showed that the best predictor of
social capital was having a PCI local government, which was
inconvenient for Putnam's theory, so he just excluded this
from his results.
The story this week in Australia has been about Tamworth,
famous for an annual Country Music festival, but otherwise a
typical remote outback town. It is now building a
Pharmaceutical plant. How did this huge change happen? A
young boy had bowel cancer and his mother, a good member of
the Country Women's Association, discovered that cannabis
was the only medication which relieved the pain and nausea
the boy was suffering. She took up the cause. While
illegally acquiring cannabis she started lobbying government
to legalise medical cannabis and she won, though the whole
business will take a year or so to implement. And Tamworth
will be all set to market it. She has gathered a huge social
movement and local support radiating out from Tamworth.
My point. Make-a-Wish worked for North East Arkansas, partly
because of one child who lived to champion it. Cannabis
legalisation and production worked for Tamworth.
As Myles Horton said:

        What you must do is go back, get a simple place,
        move in and you are there. The situation is there.
        You start with this and let it grow. You know your
        goal. It will build its own structure and take its
        own form.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/