[Xmca-l] Re: Interesting to think about: the social springs of giving

Jay Lemke lemke.jay@gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:40:33 PDT 2015

I have just watched the CBS segment on the Make a Wish Foundation. Because
several moments in it brought tears to my eyes, I have been thinking about
the emotional dimension of the events for various participants as well as
for the viewers.

The notion of Communitas as well as structure and liminality were part of
Turner's analysis of ritual and community solidarity. The affective
dimension of participation in community events which build emotional
solidarity as well as ideational and material solidarity is important in
this analysis. Consider the emotional difference between being a full
participant in events like the announcement of the granting of a wish
versus merely being a voyeur.

The status of being a felt full participant may be constituted in part by
being a donor, being a volunteer, being a leader, and this range of modes
of participation is open to a whole community and helps to constitute a
community within the community. It is a community of shared feeling
inseparable from shared activity. Think about the feelings you may have had
as a spectator of the video and try to imagine the feelings of being a
direct participant.

In relation to Mike's writing about timescales relevant to development, the
video segment does connect personal histories, event histories, and the
history of the local chapter of the foundation. I think this suggests
interesting questions about how to formulate and describe the affective
dimension of time scales beyond that of short-term events. It also raises
questions about the role of our own emotions as researchers in
understanding such phenomena.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
LCHC/Department of Communication