[Xmca-l] Re: imagination and controlling the perception of visualillusions.

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 16:42:03 PDT 2015

Larry,
As always, your post informs and inspires, though I doubt my own will be inspirational. I don’t mean it to be, even when how I say something seems to aspire to inspiration.

Saccadic eye movements have especially been on my radar since I read that they are important to understanding both the cognitive grammar of Langacker and the gap minding of the CHAT. (Though Langacker devotes much less ink to it than the CHAT people.) It’s all about imagination. And CAN be about creativity, when imagination is disciplined and ethical. Or so I see it.

Visual illusions are the key to magic. Misdirection. The idea that the world in our mind is simply a faithful, “factual" replica of the world “out there” is hard to shake. I would say that magic ranks up there with gesture as a generative metaphor for what it is to be and act as a  human.

I like the juxtaposition of structure and fluency, think it captures the connection between grammar and language use, grammar being usage based. You elaborate on reading fluency, but the idea is general, as you say:
> "I have a hunch that there is something "beyond" our belief and beyond "bridging" that is continually opening gaps and intervals as new vistas within our acts.
> This something beyond our  structurings has been called the  "inner feeling" of the event (not to be confused with the "inner feeling" of a single person's mind.”

The idea of the “'inner feeling’ of the event” is intriguing. Would that relate in any way to inner speech, the way Vygotsky construes it? As in, how do I know what I am going to write until I’ve written it?

I also like the juxtaposition of fluency and rhythm. Temporality. Somehow, the temporal domain seems to me to be the most basic of basic domains, even more basic than the spatial domain. Though I can’t prove it. It certainly feels that way to me. Does this go beyond the inner feeling in my individual mind?

Henry