[Xmca-l] Re: imagination and controlling the perception of visual illusions.

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:33:56 PDT 2015

On 1 October 2015 at 20:38, HENRY SHONERD <hshonerd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Something that has intrigued me, and may be relevant to the thread, has
> been how I can “freeze” the movement of my overhead fans by voluntarily
> jerking my eyes back and forth as I gaze at the revolving fan blades. When
> I keep my eyes fixed, the blades blur. When I jerk my eyes back and forth,
> the blades seem to stop. Or so I perceive it. In the Pelaprat & Cole
> article (2011) on mending the gap, Etienne and Mike discuss saccadic eye
> movements as “central to the perception of the world”.

Which is possibly how the imagination trick works, Henry.  By regulating
eye movements through predicting where an imaginary object will be next.

I expect Mike will be coming back with more detail.

Best,
Huw