[Xmca-l] Re: imagination and controlling the perception of visual illusions.

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:38:15 PDT 2015

Something that has intrigued me, and may be relevant to the thread, has been how I can “freeze” the movement of my overhead fans by voluntarily jerking my eyes back and forth as I gaze at the revolving fan blades. When I keep my eyes fixed, the blades blur. When I jerk my eyes back and forth, the blades seem to stop. Or so I perceive it. In the Pelaprat & Cole article (2011) on mending the gap, Etienne and Mike discuss saccadic eye movements as “central to the perception of the world”.
Henry