[Xmca-l] Re: interpretations of the history of ideas

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:56:04 PST 2015

It means to habitually consider any thing in terms of its orgins, Larry,
i.e. how such a thing has come to be.

A technical idea, for instance, consists of notions in relation to
problematic situations.  It offers affords a precise solution to particular
framed problems, but that can only really be understood by exposure to
these problems as problems (without which one would not be appreciating the
idea, but rather assimilating contents of the idea in terms of other ideas
one understands).  This is not Lovejoy's thesis, however.  Technical and
scientific ideas are not the delimited scope of his work.  He writes about
other social influences as ideas such as aspects of the Romantic movement.
  See the introductory chapter to his his most well-known publication, the
great chain of being.

Best,
Huw