[Xmca-l] Armistice/Veterans, what's in a name?

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 11 20:41:00 PST 2015

A few days ago I commented on the names given to a national holiday on Nov
11 which, in the US, have changed during my life time from armistice day to
memorial day to veterans day. I noted that the BBC has a big spread on
Armistice day.... images of death, commemoration, grieving. On google, when
I log in, there are pictures of a rainbow coalition of young adults in
uniform, smiling.... at what? at how wonderful it will be to become a
veteran?
Why are they smiling, have they forgotten to anticipate the grieving?

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch