[Xmca-l] Re: Congratulations Men

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Sun Nov 8 20:22:55 PST 2015

True story,  the English is cleaned up to protect the innocent

My first year of graduate school there were two female physicists who had just come over from China who I had become friendly with.  One morning I hear a knock on my door.  There stands one of the physicists

"Where do we get our tickets?"  She asks me.

"What?"  I say.

"Our tickets.  Me and my roommate want to know where we get our movie tickets."

"Movie tickets?"  She nods her head excitedly.  "Why would you get movie tickets?"

She looks at me like I'm an idiot.  "Because it's international women's day."

"International women's day?  We don't have a women's day."

"Of course you do," she said frustrated.  "It's international.  That's why they call it international women's day."

"No, we don't have a women's day in the United States."

"Women's day," she says insistent.  "We get movie tickets.  We don't have to work."

"No," I say, "there is no women's day in the United States."

Her eyes get wide.  "Does that mean I'm supposed to go into my lab."

"There's no women's day."

She sighs and turns around - and says as she leaves (interestingly enough in English), "But I'm too old for children's day."

I just didn't have the heart to tell her.

Happy men's day everybody.

Michael