[Xmca-l] Re: Understanding/changing "something"

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu May 28 20:14:58 PDT 2015

... if you want to know about changing History specifically,
i.e., History as something which is *made* (as opposed to
"changed"), the main reference would be the famous maxim of
Marx in "18th Brumaire":

        "Men make their own history, but they do not make it
        as they please; they do not make it under
        self-selected circumstances, but under circumstances
        existing already, given and transmitted from the
        past."
        https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1852/18th-brumaire/ch01.htm

So I think for Marx it was not a question of "understanding
history" by "making history", but rather that he would have
interpreted "changing history" as "making history" which
meant "overthrowing all existing social conditions" (to use
the phrase of the Communist Manifesto) and for Marx this was
not something that individuals did or that was done in a
"scientific" way at all. The scientific principles could be
grasped, according to Marx, only post facto. But I don't
know that Marx would ever have said one changed history *in
order to understand it*! But I think he did see the
experience of the working class as a learning process.
Should I try to find something to justify that, or are we
already too far away from your original question?
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/