[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: Sternberg's 2015 reflections on his search for the nature of intelligence

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun May 17 20:48:22 PDT 2015

Mike,

Robert's insight that people in different cultures have very different metaphors of mind and as a result they raised their children to be smart in terms of their own implicit theories of intelligence.

I would add that in various historical epochs people had very different metaphors of intelligence.

the search for intelligence “as” a zipperrump-a-zoo may be the misguided metaphor. the search may be more productive to look at another metaphor [the “field”] as the place where zipperrump-a-zoo's actually show up.

Sternberg concludes his look back with the advice;

“should you encounter anyone who believes he or she has found it [the zipperump-a-zoo]nand there are plenty of those IN THE FIELD of intelligence - my advice is: “Caveat emptor: Buyer beware”

The metaphors that carry the meaning of intelligence emerge within

“fields”

this may be where to search for zipperump-a-zoo as a species.

larry

Sent from Windows Mail