[Xmca-l] Re: Also NY Review of Books

Kindred, Jessica Dr. jkindred@cnr.edu
Wed May 13 07:36:21 PDT 2015

Ulvi, I teach a course called Prior Learning: Theory and Practice which engages adult students in a process of  documenting and describing their out-of-school learning (from work, community service, family, travel, even reading, performing, whatever) into portfolios to apply for college credit for courses they would not therefore take... I don't know if this is quite what you are thinking of, but I do see it as very much a process of pedagogiical tailoriing that supports students'  metacognition and reflective skills as they reconceive their experiences as learning. I have written about my experience with it in the most recent PLAIO (Prior Learning Assessment Inside OutL at plaio.org.

From: xmca-l-bounces+jkindred=cnr.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces+jkindred=cnr.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Ulvi İçil [ulvi.icil@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:39 AM
To: Andy Blunden; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Also NY Review of Books

"So our minds and our bodies are a living subject-object contradiction".

Can anybody point out to a parallel in education what Andy indicated? e.g.
tailoring a content to a particular student characteristics. I think this
needs to be one of the core points of pedagogy as the science of teaching
and learning. For instance, content knowledge and a transformed form of it,
made teachable and learnable for the student by the teacher.

Ulvi