[Xmca-l] Re: Asia tops global school rankings

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed May 13 04:58:12 PDT 2015

I am rooting--quite unironically--for the cheaters; since the psychology
profession, with a few noble exceptions (such as Bernard Spolsky and
Stephen J. Gould), has been largely derelict in its duty to expose the
psychometric frauds, I think the only hope of putting them out of business
permanently lies in the highly ingenious work of Korean and Chinese
test-takers, and I wish them all the best.

The so-called SAT, whose predecessor was designed to keep Jews out of
academia, now serves much the same purpose with respect to Asians (with, I
am pleased to say, about the same degree of success). According to Bernard
Spolsky, the extremely unstable statistical relationship of the "SAT' to
either "aptitude" (that is, its ability to predict real academic success)
or "achievement" (that is, its correlation with high school grades) is so
tenuous that the company no longer claims that "A" actually stands for
anything ("sat" just means you had to sit down and take a test).

The true "cheating" scandal is the ability of ETS and other agents of the
testing industry to sell wares which purport to predict academic success
and in fact merely manufacture it for sale.

David Kellogg