[Xmca-l] Re: Opt-out movement

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Mon Mar 30 07:31:38 PDT 2015

Hi Greg,

Do you have a link on this.  I would be really interested to know what the thinking of the NAACP is and who is pushing this particular idea.

You can also take it and flip it around.  Why are affluent and privileged whites - the same group that is strongly pushing and materially benefitting from the emphasis on testing (who runs Pearson, who is pushing corporate charter schools) also looking to escape it?  Why does Rahm Emmanuel put his children in the University of Chicago laboratory school?  Why do so many of the people pushing testing putting their children in Sidwell Friends school?   It raises some really disturbing questions I think.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Greg Mcverry
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 10:21 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Opt-out movement

Yet there is also data to support that the opt-out movement is really a movement of affluent and privileged whites.

In fact the NAACP has come out strong in support of annual testing as a neccisity. Some go as far to call the importance of keeping annual testing a civil rights movement.

I think the opinions of  both NAACP wrong and those who look to accountability based reform as a means to improving disparities between students of color and their suburban peers are wrong.