[Xmca-l] Re: Vygotsky and Deborin

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sun Mar 22 19:51:39 PDT 2015

Glad you appreciate the forensic aspect of this Larry. It has long
troubled me, where did Vygotsky get his Hegelianism from? I was given a
photocopy of Thinking and Speech in 1997, and it has always been T&S
which has been the book for me. I was delighted by his dialectical
reasoning. But when I looked through his CW it was obvious that he had
never read Hegel because all his Hegel references andHegel quotes were
taken from well-known passages in Engels, Lenin, and later, Marx. It was
a little while ago when, following up on the xmca discussion on word and
action, I re-read "Ape, Primitive Man and Child" as well as "History of
the Development ..." that I realised that whatever he knew about Hegel
he had learnt it in 1930. That really set me going. Fortunately, Anton
Yasnitsky had for me what was the decisive piece of evidence, though
Anton himself doesn't see it that way. What we see in what Vygotsky
wrote in that collaboration is about Kohler's Gestalt ideas of how
chimps solve problems and eidetic memory. Nothing about concepts or
Hegel there at all.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/