[Xmca-l] Re: Resending LSV/ANL on crisis in ontogengy

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Sun Mar 22 09:40:12 PDT 2015

Thanks for calling attention to the Bozhovich (2004), Mike.   Nice to notice the play of drives and SSDs, in it, especially.
When the child is organized  in/by an SSD, could we say there is learning going on that might lead to development?  But at first it isn't development, just learning?  (And/or can we say the child/adolescent starts with "merely understood" but not "really effective" motives?)  So the a child might do something because "mommy says so" and when a teacher comes into it her life she might  add or switch to "teacher says so" and add or switch what's being done, too.  Sort of disappointing (maybe even embarrassing perhaps to the teacher) but the child is organized by and acting "as if" they are participants in/co-constructors of the school SSD.  So there's a ground that the figure might develop in, a petri dish type of culture for the child's future...
I like to think of the morphology of the word "organ-ize" -- the child is a different organ when they get to develop so that the motive of/in the SSD is really effective.

I'm hoping Martin Packer will link it to his points in his post about Tomasello...

Peg

PS  Maybe it's my old age but I get a kick out of reading a highlighted PDF -- get the feeling of a sort of  illicit reading over someone's shoulder!  It's in real contrast to the annoyance I used to get from paper copies with other folks' highlighting or underlining.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2015 11:55 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Resending LSV/ANL on crisis in ontogengy

I find it a little odd to think that SSD has little to do with biological maturation.
So few 6 month olds get married these days.

However, the "structuring of forms the child does not yet 'have' " is certainly central to the sociocultural organization of human development. Among other things, mismatches in timing between adult normative expectations and child behaviors associated with, say, the maturation of bowel control or the ability to sit quietly at a desk for several hours at a time might just give rise to the kinds of phenomena that lSV refers to as crises.

I am not sure. What are the criteria for a crisis? Are they generally agreed upon and to be found in practice-guiding texts for, say, professional pediatricians?

It seems that the attached may be relevant to several of the remarks in this thread.

Uncertain-in-so-cal
mike

http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Mail/xmcamail.2013_01.dir/pdf5I3He7qyRQ.pdf

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.