[Xmca-l] Re: Ruqaiya Hasan

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:10:02 PDT 2015

Yes, I was trying to keep it short.

The key text is:

Hasan, R. (1973). Code, Register, and Social Dialect. In Bernstein, B.
(ed.) Class, Codes and Control, Vol. 2: Applied Studies towards a Sociology
of Language. London: Routledge Kegan Paul.

Also:

Halliday, M.A.K. (1972). Towards a Sociological Semantics. In Collected
Works of M.A.K. Halliday, vol. 3, London: Continuum, pp. 323-354.

The examples I gave were made up especially for you. I am not a native
speaker of South Chicago English, but I remember thinking that "be"
insertion is sometimes a sign of counteractuality (as in "They be sayin" as
opposed to "they said" or "they say"), and so a sign of the conditional.
That is, where North Chicago and Loop English will use "if" and then the
future tense to express conditionality ("If you get that dirty, I'll smack
you") South Chicago English uses the more direct form, the conjuntion
"and", and then "be" insertion to suggest the conditional ("Get that dirty
and I be hit yo up side yo face").  But I don't really know; this is one of
those situations where we need an authentic speaker and not just a genuine
one.

Here are Hasan's examples (also made up).

(10) If you climb up that wall you may hurt yourself.
(11) You climb up that wall and I'll take a stick to you.
(12) If you climb up that wall you may ruin your nice new shirt. (p. 69,
but that's in my Chinese copy).

Ruqaiya's point is that (10) and (12) differ in meaning but the difference
doesn't cover the whole clause complex but only the result of the
condition, whereas in (10) and (11) it covers the whole complex, including
the way that the condition is worded: this suggests--but of course it
doesn't prove--a more general, more genetic causation, rather than a merely
functional one.

I don't think any examples--Ruqaiya's or my own--are meant to be anything
more than demonstrative, Greg. In order to see real evidence, we need very
large data bases and some way of looking at significant wordings. This was
done by Ruqaiya's student:

Cloran, C. (1999) Contexts for learning. In Christie, F. (Ed) Pedagogy and
the shaping of consciousness: Linguistic and social processes. London:
Continuum, pp. 31-65.

She compares categories like "action", "commentary", "observation",
"reflection", "report", "account", "generalization", "plan", "prediction",
"conjecture" and "recount' (storytelling). The big differences came in
"generalization" (elaborated code +) and "action" (restricted code +), and
the differences were statistically highly significant (Mann Whitney test).

David Kellogg