[Xmca-l] Re: Ruqaiya Hasan

Jacob McWilliams jennamcjenna@gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 16:59:47 PDT 2015

This is a really intense conversation to be listening in on. I want to
amplify one voice that hasn’t yet been introduced:  I just finished reading
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s stunning novel “Americanah,” which interweaves a
fictional narrative with commentaries on race. The protagonist is a black
Nigerian woman who moves to America and becomes a “prominent race blogger”;
she says she “discovered race in America and it fascinated me.” The
protagonist—or, if you prefer, Adichie, writes this about Obama:

So lots of folk—mostly non-black—say Obama’s not black, he’s biracial,
multiracial, black-and-white, anything but just black. Because his mother
was white. But race is not biology; race is sociology. Race is not
genotype; race is phenotype. Race matters because of racism. And racism is
absurd because it’s about how you look. Not about the blood you have. It’s
about the shade of your skin and the shape of your nose and the kink of
your hair. Booker T. Washington and Frederick Douglass had white fathers.
Imagine them saying they were not black.
Imagine Obama, skin the color of a toasted almond, hair kinky, saying to a
census worker—I’m kind of white. Sure you are, she’ll say. Many American
Blacks have a white person in their ancestry, because white slave owners
liked to go a-raping in the slave quarters at night. But if you come out
looking dark, that’s it…. In America, you don’t get to decide what race you
are. It is decided for you. Barack Obama, looking as he does, would have
had to sit in the back of the bus fifty years ago. If a random black guy
commits a crime today, Barack Obama could be stopped and questioned for
fitting the profile. And what would that profile be? “Black Man."

Jacob (Jenna) McWilliams

Educational Psychology and Learning Sciences Program

University of Colorado Boulder

j.mcwilliams@colorado.edu

On Jun 30, 2015, at 5:24 PM, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com>