[Xmca-l] Re: David Lancy/AERA symposium proposal?

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 07:10:57 PDT 2015

Gente,
My thanks to Greg and Martin! This thread seems connected to my interest in an AERA CHAT/Vygotsky related symposium on activities that school-age children do voluntarily, as in the Fifth Dimension projects Mike Cole has been so involved in. Would anybody out there be interested in taking part in such a symposium? Having devoted two and a half decades of my life to teacher ed and seeing the toxicity of schooling and testing, especially for the poor, grow during that time, I am thinking it’s time for me to take a good look at schooling from the outside. Reading David Lancey confirms this. Maisha Winn’s article on Literate Trajectories as well. Engstrom’s Wildfire article also. As a sub in two charter high schools here in Albuquerque for the last year, I have gotten to know youth-as-agents best by getting involved in things that they do outside of school: poetry, music, dance, art, martial arts, bicycling…I would like to deepen that connection next year and think that looking forward to sharing and presenting such projects with others at the AERA in Washington in April would be great synergy all around. I expect that such a symposium has already been done, in which case is it worth doing again? The deadline for paper and session submissions for the AERA is July 22nd I believe.
Henry