[Xmca-l] Re: BBC: Mind Changers

Vera John-Steiner vygotsky@unm.edu
Tue Jul 21 10:00:42 PDT 2015

Hi San,

I hope you are feeling less tired. When do you see the cardiologist? It is a little humid here but not as bad as
in N.Y., I believe.
Love,
V.

From: xmca-l-bounces+vygotsky=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces+vygotsky=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 10:35 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: BBC: Mind Changers

Mike is a survivor of the long night of behaviorism in twentieth century
psychology, and weirdly enough I had a walk on (or perhaps a crawl on) part
in it myself. My mother, who had previously been a graduate student in
physics and chemistry and then one of the first computer coders, began
studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota as a way of wiling
away the long hours I spent in their nursery school, which back in the
early sixties was the only place that you could really get day care. I
remember having to do rat-maze experiments and getting rewarded with M&Ms,
and my dad says that it was only his personal intervention that prevented
me from being raised in a Skinner box. But my point stands: behaviorists
were never divided over the question of whether ALL behavior was inherited
or ALL behavior was conditioned. It was always a matter of determining how
much.

It is interesting that the the Arden House experiments and the Harlow
experiments have diametrically counterposed codas (one hesitates to draw
them as conclusions). One argues that being taken care of is life denying,
while the other finds it life-affirming. Not only does it never occur to
the programme presenters that these two things might both be true at
different developmental stages (since Arden House takes place at the close
of life and the Harlow experiments are supposed to deal with the
commencement), it doesn't even appear that they have noticed that they are
in contradiction.

The third programme, on the Hawthorne effect, is even more hilarious. I had
always assumed that the Hawthorne effect was for psychology what the
placebo effect was in medicine. But that's not the case at all. It's the
late 1920s. There's a gigantic plant for manufacturing telephone relays on
the outskirts of Chicago. The bosses want to find out how to increase
productivity--increase the room temperature, decrease it, increase
lighting, decrease it, more breaks, fewer breaks, what have you. It turns
out that the answer is...what have you. No matter what the bosses do,
productivity goes up.

And no wonder. When two girls do NOT increase productivity, they are
removed from the study on suspicion that they have "gone Bolshevik".

David Kellogg

 and