[Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Lubomir Savov Popov lspopov@bgsu.edu
Wed Jul 15 07:33:43 PDT 2015

Hi Rolf,

You mention in your previous mail:

Lubomir, you asked - “who are the placemakers -- the architects or the USERS of designed/created/socially produced spaces?” I think this is difficult to answer because both architect and user play a role in the place-making process. The architects embed possible meanings (if place and meaning are analogous than perhaps these might be considered ‘place potentials’) that only emerge through the activity of the users. I’m only thinking through this now, so feel free to elaborate or to disagree!

I would suggest that only individual consciousness is a place maker. Exception – the collective consciousness, but this is another aspect. Architects can only facilitate that process, but they are not the main factors. They believe they imbed particular meanings of the environment through the process of design. My positions is that they only believe. What they embed as a meaningful physical component or a sign can be and is interpreted very differently by the building users. In one case, the architects tried to design a space-age café with build of dozens of sculptured modules. The local hippies called it “the funeral home” because the modules reminds them of coffins. So much about placemaking. However, the café became a place for the hippies – they started using it as a meeting place because of its location and affordable prices; it became a locality where they can find support, share their problems, make fun, get excited, and so on; they endowed the physical entity with their own meaning, and so on.

Placemaking is an intimate personal process. Even the ugliest environment can make a wonderful place for the individuals that feel at home there, that draw strength from that environment, and really enjoy it.

What are your thoughts about this? I am already confronting the architects with this conceptualization. I need to see how this way of thinking is perceived by social scientists.
Best

Lubomir

From: rolfsteier@gmail.com [mailto:rolfsteier@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Rolf Steier
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 6:58 AM
To: Alfredo Jornet Gil
Cc: Lubomir Savov Popov; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity; mike cole; lchc-l@mailman.ucsd.edu; lpscholar2@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Xmca-l] Re: The Emergence of Boundary Objects

Thank you for your thoughts Larry,

I wanted to pick up on your suggestion of the table metaphor because I think that’s really interesting. I believe you are proposing the shared meal as analogous to the kind of orientation work (or perhaps Leigh Star might consider this translation or pre-translation work?) that precedes the task at hand (in the case of our study, the task is design). Excerpt 3 from our study might be relevant here, when in turn 6, the curator turns to the researcher, leans in, and points in order to create a shared visual field. The curator and the researcher can now orient towards the existing gallery in order to imagine future, possible changes in the gallery. The curator is in a sense extending an invitation to sit down at the same table to be able to share his vision for the gallery.

This shared meal might of course also be considered designed. Ingold (Making) actually uses this same table metaphor to demonstrate the facilitation of activity as an aspect of design - “Everyday design catches the narrative and pins it down, establishing a kind of choreography for the ensuing permanence that allows it to proceed from the moment you sit down to eat. In such a straightforward task as laying the table - in enrolling into your relation bowl and spoon, milk jug and cereal box - you are designing breakfast.”

There is an improvisational quality to the bodily/performative orientation work that is maybe not captured by the shared expectations of sitting down to a meal. But at the same time, we can also consider the workspace of the multidisciplinary design team as designed in the same way that the meal is designed in order to support the objective of the meeting. That is, the, design team must first engage in a place-making activity for their collaborative setting in order to attend to the design of the exhibition space. The designers set the table with a white board, sketches and design ideas, perhaps some coffee... etc., before turning to the task of imagining the future exhibition.

Lubomir, you asked - “who are the placemakers -- the architects or the USERS of designed/created/socially produced spaces?” I think this is difficult to answer because both architect and user play a role in the place-making process. The architects embed possible meanings (if place and meaning are analogous than perhaps these might be considered ‘place potentials’) that only emerge through the activity of the users. I’m only thinking through this now, so feel free to elaborate or to disagree!

Rolf