[Xmca-l] Re: The zone of proximal development

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed Jul 8 14:53:14 PDT 2015

I love this Rob!

It's like knock-knock jokes.

Say, anyone have any good Vygotsky knock-knock jokes?

I would say that humor is essential in a ZPD as it dresses up the environment and all its problems much nicer than a plant.

Humor works through recognition of something as something else. Such as a young boy acting as a Greek referendum voter (with his mother). And thus it delights us to see two things at the same time in one thing.

Of course joy is connected to humor, as long as it isn't at someone else's expense (when lightbulbs tend to blow out and must be changed by maudlin folk singers).

We know that learning and joy are connected in the most optimum learning environments, or rather zopeds.

Perhaps humor is important because it is a moment when the mind is relaxed and open. Thus allowing a facility to grasp something novel, much like an infant will grasp his father's finger when the finger is introduced to him for the first time.

A recognition is made when a connection is made.

Kind regards,

Annalisa