[Xmca-l] Re: The zone of proximal development

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:32:44 PDT 2015

David,
I think I'm beginning to understand what all the Bernsteinian hullabaloo is
about. I have three thoughts about this.

First, I wonder where we might place one of the most important orations
(and perhaps the most important orator) of the 20th century in terms of
elaborated vs. restricted codes. I'm thinking here of MLK and his "I have a
dream" speech. Linguistically speaking, he is reporting his dream as if it
were an actual existent - not a hypothetical. He presents the
counterfactuals as a real and present factitive - a dream. And yet, at the
same time, the content of his dream is entirely counterfactual. His idea of
Mississippi as "an oasis of freedom and justice" is nothing if not
counterfactual (in 1963, but perhaps still today). And yet, this is not the
linguistic mode (code?) of "let's imagine" or "I hypothesize" or "what if?"
as in some hypothetical non-present existent. Linguistically speaking,
Mississippi IS an oasis of freedom and justice in a here and now existence
- even if that existence is only in a dream.

So, what do we make of this speech, given the notion of elaborated and
restricted codes? As a code, I assume it is a restricted code. And yet it
is doing all the counterfactual work of an elaborated code. [and if anyone
wants to revisit the factitive counterfactual (or is it counterfactual
facticity?) genius of the talk, here is a link to the transcript plus the
original audio: http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm]

Second, you gave two options for remedying the problem of difference
between the elaborated codes of the school and the restricted codes of the
working class home - get parents to use elaborated codes in the home or get
teachers to use restricted codes in the schools. I wonder about a third
alternative to deal with this situation - acting lessons. I'm only half
joking here - Lois Holzman has an institute that does very much the sort of
thing that I have in mind here. But here I need to do some more
back-tracking to some points where I (think I) disagree with Bernstein's
(and Hasan's?) assumptions. Instead of assuming that these are abilities of
the individuals in question, I would propose an identitarian approach to
the restricted and elaborated codes problem. In this view, this difference
has everything to do with who one sees oneself as (which has everything to
do with who others see one as, as well as what kinds of inhabitable
identities are "see-able" - recognition). Thus, the problem of elaborated
vs. restricted codes is much more an issue of the kinds of talk that feel
"natural" to the speaker (and Franz Fanon has dealt with the problem of
speaking, bodies, and recognition very nicely in Black Skins, White Masks).
Certain ways of using language (codes) will feel awkward to the speaker. I
wonder if explicit teaching and practice can transform individuals such
that they will be willing to feel comfortable (if only as an "actor" at
first) in speaking codes that might feel awkward or even problematic for
them. This follows the well-known logic of "fake it 'til you make it".

I can specifically recall when I was presenting my master's thesis at a
conference for the first time. When I got to the height of the performance
of the high academic register of academic-ese (not easy!), I recall
stumbling over the words "semiotic fecundity" - words which had been so
easy to write but which now, as I performed them in front of an audience
became quite a mouthful. And this is precisely the point - the challenge of
"performing" in front of an audience - with all of the expectations that
this brings - again, note the role of "recognition". There is a poetics to
the matching of the "who we are" with the "how we talk" precisely because
the latter is so often taken as a diagrammatic icon of the former. Take,
for example, the many screeds that have been written about "bad" language -
whether of the creeping variety of novel and youthful linguistic forms that
pay no respect to tradition (like "like") or of the alternative varieties
of "just bad language" such as African-American English - with its supposed
illogics of double negation and copula deletions! So, the question then is:
how do you get a child who has grown up feeling natural in one code to
inhabit the identity that comes with speaking a different code? I think
acting classes are one very important possibility.

Finally, I came across an example that might help us think about the role
of context with regard to restricted and elaborated codes. The example
comes from Michael Silverstein's consideration of Don Brenneis' work among
a Hindi speaking community in Fiji (they were brought there from India as
migrant workers by British colonial powers). Brenneis documents two modes
of talk that are used - one is for the formal pancayat context (the ritual
governing body of the community), the other is used in the informal talanoa
context (basically, "men's gossip"). Note that the type of talk used in the
informal talanoa context (called jangli bat, or "jungle talk") is highly
presupposing and involves "a low degree of explicit, orderly, and complete
descriptive information, the kind, say, we claim we value in expository
communication and inculcate in institutions of learning" (Silverstein
2013). Indeed, Brenneis notes that if you you only had transcripts of the
conversation and were not a party to the talk and, more importantly, to the
social life of those talking, you would have no idea what was happening in
the conversations. Additionally, there is a discourse marker that is
repeatedly used "bole", which means "says." Note that this is just a
generic metapragmatic reportative and no indication is given with regard to
WHO says (or even the specifics of WHAT exactly was said) just a narration
of events that were "said" to have happened. This is about as restricted as
a code can get.

Yet, with regard to the context of this kind of talk, these "restrictions"
of the code are precisely the point of this form of talk. They are highly
functional and accomplish at least two things. First, they afford the
speakers a certain amount of plausible deniability in the potentially
profaning act (for object and for speaker...) of gossip. By poetically
punctuating their speech with "says" without indicating who says (and
certainly not the speaker who "says" this!), they remove themselves from
the role of author or principal of the talk and all the responsibility that
comes authoring gossip. Second, the use of "says" creates a sense in which
the speaker is just reporting what is common knowledge in the community
(and, of course, gossip always both is and isn't common knowledge).

So, the point here is that the restricted code is entirely appropriate
(even essential) in this context. To speak otherwise would be foolish.

A bit too elaborate?
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.