[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: English version of Cultural Model

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:06:14 PDT 2015

I was going to read more carefully all of the readings that have been proferred lately, including: Martin’s piece, “Schooling: Domestication or Ontolgical Construction (proffered by Greg), David’s piece, “Between Lessons: The ZPD in Korean Schools”, but the dialog is moving along at such a pace that I wanted to jump in with something that just occurred to me: David has talked of collaboration and cooperation, but what about competition? That’s what a scrum is about, at least as it applies to rugby.(Thank you Annalisa!) That would raise the issue of who is on which “side”. And how seriously we take the game, which likely depends on how serious and permanent the effects of winning and losing. Recognition and resilience have to be part of this. And culture. Has Vygotsky ever talked about the ZPD in as it plays out in a real classroom, where cooperation, collaboration and competition take place? For example, is the functional method of double stimulation done always with individual children? Come to think of it, did Piaget’s method involve working with more than one child?

Henry