[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: English version of Cultural Model

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 8 09:56:07 PDT 2015

I have no idea where you get your reading of LSV and creativity, Greg. I am
not sure who the person with the correct interpretation of Vygotsky is, so
can't help there.With respect to his ideas on creativity many
 knowledgeable folk are "present" on xmca and can perhaps help.

I think I might be able to  provide an answer that accords with my
understanding to the question you pose. Your question :

*Can we imagine the "new" coming from within a community (of novices!)
rather than from without? *

We do not have to imagine this happening in so far as as direct observation
is infused with imagining. We can rely upon empirical data. In  *Cultural
Psychology *and elsewhere I have turned to the work of Rose and Felton
(1955) on creation and diffusion of culture in small groups, work which has
been extended in Schaller and Crandall (2004). Very bare bones but it seems
to be an illustration of the "new" coming from within a community of
novices. I have taken these bare bones and added to them Gary Allen Fine's
description of the formation of idioculture and applied that idea to
watching the genesis of a new 5thDimension from rumors
of one that existed once somewhere by people in a new her and now. Seems
like I see a thread of joint mediated action-in-activity running from its
bare bones to to its live performance.

Also seems like a way to approach the study of language emergence
Nicaraguan sign, a contested history.

mike

PS-- Rose and Felton attached. Do not know if a pdf of the book exists.

 someoneone calling our "wildfire is down" and

--

All there is to thinking is seeing something noticeable which makes
you see something you weren't noticing which makes you see something