[Xmca-l] Re: Fwd: English version of Cultural Model

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 08:47:08 PDT 2015

​A colleague was just telling me of Michel-Rolph Trouillot's book on the
Haitian Revolution, *Silencing the Past: Power and the Production of
History*. One of the things that he mentioned was that Trouillot points to
the general non-recognizability of what happened in Haiti - here was the
first black republic and the first central American nation to declare
independence from colonialism and yet almost no one had written about it.
In the historical consciousness (of North Americans), it was as if it never
happened - an "unthinkable history". At the time of its happening, it was
truly unthinkable - notions of liberty among a Black populace was an
impossible thing for white Europeans to imagine.

And yet, it happened.

In connection with questions about "the end in the beginning" and the
(seeming?) necessity of the expert-novice relationship, I wonder if this
might be a blind spot for Vygotsky-ian theorizing vis a vis creativity,
innovation, and the "new"?

With respect to Haiti, it seems like something new is coming into being. So
then, how do we imagine this new-ness of being? The default Vygotsky-ian
approach seems to be that the new development comes from the
already-fully-formed. In the case of Haiti, this could lead down the
unfortunate path of seeing the Haitian situation (the new) as being
dependent upon the European colonizers (the fully-formed). This seems to
me, in a sense, to return us to the view that there was "nothing new" in
the Haitian revolution.

This is a potential blind spot that I was pointing to with Packer's piece
as well as in the case of Nicaraguan sign language. Can we imagine the
"new" coming from within a community (of novices!) rather than from without?

I'd welcome corrections here to my thinking about Vygotsky, CHAT, and/or
Haiti. Please.

-greg

​

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Dr. Paul C. Mocombe <pmocombe@mocombeian.com