[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination

Beth Ferholt bferholt@gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 19:33:52 PST 2015

I have been thinking all weekend about Yitang Zhang's description of
solving a math problem that had not been solved in over a century.  It was
just in the New Yorker and it was odd to read both what Mike and Peg sent,
above. and this in one weekend.  They both remind me of Martin Buber's I
and You relationship with the cat ... relationships with numbers, cats and
teacups sounds like Alice in Wonderland.

Zhang was in a friend's back yard, taking a several week break from
thinking about the problem, and then, he says, "I see numbers, equations,
and something even -- its hard to say what it is.  Something very special.
Maybe numbers, maybe equations -- a mystery, maybe a vision."

Buber says of, perhaps, surrendering -- the power of exclusiveness has
seized me.

And then there is play, which is often dialogue with an object, no?
Always? When Harriet the spy tries out being an onion, for instance.

THanks for these,
Beth

--
Beth Ferholt