[Xmca-l] Re: Thought and language as oscillating and pulsing [or not]

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Mon Jan 26 09:06:14 PST 2015

Yes, I had the same response, Greg. A 'gap' is essential for freedom, Sartre suggests: the gap between who we are and who we could be. That gap is what gives us freedom to act. And I think that imagination would be central to filling it (historical and cultural variations notwithstanding).

And yes, ontology is central, in various ways. One is the view that appearances lead us to how things are, to what exists: there is not, for phenomenology, a complete rupture between things-in-themselves and things-for-us. This connects with the view that humans play a role in the 'constitution' of reality. For Husserl this was a matter of the activity of subjectivity; while for Heidegger it was a matter of participation in public practices. But both saw a link between human activity and the world we live in. To me there are clear connections to Marx, on the one hand, and to Vygotsky, on the other.

Martin