[Xmca-l] Re: Thought and language as oscillating and pulsing [or not]

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sun Jan 25 10:38:15 PST 2015

Now THAT I think I understood, Larry. Thanks.

*Meaning *is not just a property of thinking. Meaning penetrates [infuses]
the structure of motor and perceptual activities.

So we are talking, so to speak, about "zhivanie" followed by "perezhivanie
(living and living through, System 1 and System 2 in current cog sci
jargon?

The two are distinguished not only temporally, but through different
modalities, different "systems of mediation." One embodied in the moving
body, the flesh, the other emobided in movement and sound.

If that interpretation is even close to the right way to think about the
matter, how do I describe the walk I took this morning that was (more or
less) simultaneously, being in a marsh at dawn, incredible sunrise, grey
heron in the gloom by the lagoon and a hawk mewing. The dog stopping the
procession to do her own sniffing. And thinking about the discussion on
xmca.
Is there less living in my writing this note than in feeding the birds in
the garden?
I think I vote for both/and.  :-)

That summary should go into the newcomer's guide!
mike