[Xmca-l] Re: Thought and language as oscillating and pulsing [or not]

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 10:01:26 PST 2015

Mike,
I chose that metaphor in relation to Zinchenko proposing two types of
"embodiment" the primary [lived through] embodiment such as motor and
perceptual movement and ways of  orientation [which is enacted at the level
of intonation, affect regulation, rhythmicity etc] AND
secondary embodiment.

Yesterday WAS first experienced as primarily embodied as lived through
being-in-the-world. The question Zinchenko asks is "What sort of flesh
[material form] this *initial meaning takes.*
*Meaning *is not just a property of thinking. Meaning penetrates [infuses]
the structure of motor and perceptual activities.
Zinchenko argues we do not "know" intellectually what the *initial primary
original* meaning or conception was embodied in.
To "know" intellectually requires *second embodiment*.  [objectification,
or if you wish signification] of the initial embodiment witnin perceptual,
operational, motor, and verbal meanings. THIS second embodiment I imagine
as an alternative "level" [metaphors of surface and deep]
Zinchenko suggests it is within this second embodiment [the level of
images] that the initial original meaning *reveals *itself to the person
for the *first *time and in this second embodiment "yesterday" is "born"
[for the first time]

This second embodiment in which the primary embodiment is revealed for the
first time may turn *out to BE embodied as* an image, an action, or a
thought. If this primary embodiment is expressed as a thought it will *be*
expressed in a word [as a second embodiment or objectification or
signification.
The original embodiment becomes a "yesterday" as a second embodiment
Zinchenko is questioning making a discrete "boundary" between meaning and
sense. He imagines the relation  [images or figural]  through the metaphor
of the Mobius strip. More like meaning infusing sense and sense infusing
meaning.

I find Zinchenko's approach clarifying where different traditions overlap
Larry