[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

Rod Parker-Rees R.Parker-Rees@plymouth.ac.uk
Sat Jan 17 13:35:52 PST 2015

"First, what arises in the consciousness of the infant may be termed most precisely as ‘Ur-Wir’, that is, ‘proto-we’. This initial consciousness of mental commonality which precedes the development of consciousness of his own personality (that is, consciousness of a differentiated and separated ‘I’) is a consciousness of ‘we’ but not the mobile, complex consciousness of ‘we’ that includes the ‘I’…"

(Vygotsky, Collected works, vol 5, p.232)

I believe Vygotsky used ' Пра мы' but I don't speak or read Russian!

All the best,

Rod

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: 17 January 2015 21:29
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

Rod or Larry--- I have missed relevant material, clearly. But might I intervene in this exchange briefly to ask for a page reference for Vygotsky's discussion of the Primal We? Fits in with ongoing work that faces a looming deadline, and that information would be enormously helpful.

Sure a lot to discuss in those notes. Thanks.
I will try to engage properly AFTER finish the deadline task.

I am still back imagining I will have time to pose a question about the imagination thread!

mike

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science as an object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.