[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

Zavala, Miguel mizavala@exchange.fullerton.edu
Sat Jan 17 10:26:05 PST 2015

Hi Larry,

Thank you for your thoughts and synthesis of complex ideas.

An exploration of the ethical relation to the other is what I've been
revisiting; it is in the work of Enrique Dussel and others that you
synthesized in a beautiful way in a previous post.  While Dussel provides
a philosophical exploration I like the way you enflesh those ideas.
Indeed, the ethical is embodied.  The rhythms of the body (as enacted
gesture) flow.

My sense is that the intersubjective 'moment' (in a dialectical sense) in
the work of Kris and others is in relation to the 'object' in a given
activity system.  Thus, we might say or as others have noted that there is
a struggle for intersubjectivity (with or without agreement, etc.).

But there is a particular kind of centering of the object-world here, a
privileging of sight (seeing, and reasoning), such that how we come to the
'other' is vis-a-vis this 'object'.  This strain is in the work of Paulo
Freire, too.  The subject-object relation, this analytic kernel so
important to CHAT, may be accompanied by a yet parallel, intersecting
relation, subject-subject that is not mediated by object.  Herein we enter
a distinct kind of way of seeing 'history' as multiple and situated
geographically in places.

I believe that is why in the Popol Vuh, Mayan sacred text, in the
beginning there is sound.  In other traditions light is seen as primary.
Yet, this marks a key distinction, between listening (as in sound) and
seeing (as in light).  The child re-teaches us to be, rehumanizes us and
grounds us in ways felt as we listen (I as a father have some distance to
this initial becoming, given I do not carry the child).  I speak from
person experience as a father in this reflection.  It is this spiritual
space of connection and a way of being that truly (materially and
symbolically and in any other way we want to carve being-in-the-world)
that transforms us into being-in-relation-to-others.

Miguel