[Xmca-l] Re: Laws of evolution and laws of history

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 09:41:48 PST 2015

Miguel,
Thank you for this question and re-turning us to "ethical" concerns.  You
have reflected on the larger spatial scales.  My reflections explore the
other micro scale and notions of thirdness within pedagogy. This listserve
has recently discussed notions of "rhythmicity" in our enactments with
others.  I want to bring in the psychodynamic notion of rhythmicity within
thirdness by sharing Jessica Benjamin's way of moving beyond the
complimentary notion of "secondness" as the dynamic of "doer and done to"

Jessica is reflecting on a level of thirdness that is prior to using
language which she says is missing the aspect explored by "baby watchers".
She says the focus on language misses the first or founding moment, when
she writes:

  "This [the first aspect of recognition] is the part that baby watchers
have made an indelible part of our thinking. In my view of thirdness,
recognition is not first constituted by verbal speech; rather it begins
with the early nonverbal experience of sharing a pattern, a dance, with
another person" [Beyond Doer and Done to: An Intersubjective View of
Thirdness]

This aspect of primal thirdness for Jessica is a nascent energetic third -
as distinct from the symbolic third in the mother's mind - present in the
earliest exchange of "gestures" between mother and child.  Gestures are the
early primary exchange which inform "baby watchers" notion of moral or
ethical thirdness which implies the principle of "affective experience" or
"felt experience" that IS PALPABLE.  This term "palpable" expresses a
particular level of felt gestures which are  nonverbal but are mediated and
are beyond complimentary doer and done to and preconceived propagating.
Jessica argues that for the imaginal symbolic verbal third to actually
"work" [the ZPD] as a true third -rather than complimentary doer and done
to demands - requires the capacity for accomadation to a mutually created
set of expectations [projects]. For Jessica the primal or founding form
this accomodation takes or assumes is the creation of alignment with [and
repair of ruptures to] the palpable patterns, the participation
in connections based on affect resonance.

This palpable felt experience Sanders called "rhythmicity" which Sanders
considers one of two fundamental principles of all human interaction.  The
other principle being "specificity".

Jessica argues that palpable rhythmic experience helps constitute the
capacity for symbolic imaginal thirdness.  Rhythmicity may be seen [and
heard and felt] as a model principle UNDERLYING the creation of shared
patterns that move beyond complimentary dyads of doer and done to type
struggles for recognition.

Miguel, to explore our ethical understandings of pedagogy that are moving
beyond epistemology, do the "baby watchers" and their notions of
primal nonverbal thirdness have something to offer in our explorations of
Kris' notion of third space as a hybrid intersubjective space that is not
doer and done to complimentarity.
Growth and development seem to oscillate between already known
pre-conceptions of what should be taught [the doer and the done to] and the
more ethical or moral thirdness that emerges symbolically and imaginally
from within a palpable felt experience of nonverbal thirdness that
transcends doer and done to.
This is an intersubjective understanding and is only an "aspect" of the
cultural historical understanding, but it does focus our attention on the
ethical or moral dimension of enactments [performative activities]  This
model is an extension of Winnicott's notion of "potential or transitional
space" and Daniel Stern's baby watching.

Larry