[Xmca-l] Re: Rhythm

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 13:52:40 PST 2015

Respectfully,
I don’t want to speak for others, but no way is Francine’s proffer too divergent. I love getting back to the brain here. (Lashley’s shift from bacteriology to neuropsychology in the early part of the 20th century was a boon to psychology.) Love that materiality.

Your comments on changes in rhythm, whether self-initiated or through and external agent remind me of my dissertation many years ago, where repair in spontaneous speech played a major role in my study of L2 acquisition. Repair includes correction of speech by others, the stereotypical form of teaching a language. In my dissertation, I found that one of the most effective forms of repair of L2 speech in English was other-assisted, that is when the learner was seeking assistance in moving the conversation forward. This both respects the learner and provides the resources of the native speaker of English. Other-assisted repair is initiated by the learner, not imposed. Other-assisted repair is particularly effective because it sandwiches the learning within a dialog, without interrupting it. Lots of Vygotsky’s ZPD here, I claimed. I found, not surprisingly, that there are cultural differences in how other repair is viewed.

Henry

>>> [http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<