[Xmca-l] Re: Rhythm

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Sun Jan 11 13:01:29 PST 2015

Message from Francine:

Larry, Rod, Annalisa, Henry, et al

Here are some thoughts relating rhythm to prefrontal activity:

In the intro to his book The Prefrontal Cortex (p.3), Fuster says that
"Both coherence and coordination {of action} derive from the capacity of
the prefrontal cortex to organize actions in the time domain . . . ."
The prefrontal cortex enables the individual to act in a goal directed way.
This would include the timing of a speech vocalization. Does it merely
join a chorus of voices, interrupt of flow of speech or a conversation, or
change the flow of speech or conversation.

The carrier wave analogy is interesting because neuronal discharge can also
become rhythmic with regular brainwave patterns (frequency and amplitude).
Some rhythmic brainwave are OK (like alpha rhythms) others are very bad (like
seizures). Carrier waves as radio waves are modulated and change their pattern
or rhythm. If we view speech as a neuronal rhythm that can also be a shared
interpersonal activity like a dance, is this "group think?" There has to be some
common "group think" or we would not be able to understand each other. Change in the
rhythm, pattern, or habit of speaking (hence thinking) can occur several ways.
One is self-initiated (prefrontal cortex), the other would be an external agent
perhaps a charismatic leader, or a divergent member of the group who randomly
inserts a new element or rhythm (like a jam session among musicians.)
Nonhuman external events also change the rhythm as do neuro-chemical
changes like fatigue.

Does this contribute to the flow of conversation on this thread or am I being
too divergent?