[Xmca-l] Re: Rhythm

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:36:12 PST 2015

The link proffered by Annalisa has a section on hiving and rhythmic entainment, a phenomenon that I have been interested in for years. I see it in the morning flights of pigeons that fly overhead as I do tai chi and in the migration of geese, ducks and cranes twice a year here in central New Mexico. This morning, as I took part in a dance-exercise class, I took part in a rhythmically entrained activity. I have read about rhythmic entrainment in the interactions of child and caregiver that Vera first made me aware of as a prime aspect of language acquisition. I see it in the work of McNeill on the rhythmic integration of gesture and speech.  Karl Lashley said the following in 1951:

"My principal thesis today will be that the input is never into a quiescent or static system, but always into a system which is already actively excited and organized. In the intact organism, behavior is the result of interaction of this background of excitation with input from any designated stimulus. Only when we can state the general charac- teristics of this background of excitation, can we understand the effects of a given input.”

Whether within an organism, or in interactions between organisms, this suggests a rhythmic pulse underlying activity and development, and that the temporal domain is, in some sense, what underlies all of creation. I would like to propose that this rhythmic entrainment fits nicely with Hutto’s radical embodiment/enactive cognition (REC) hypothesis proferred by Larry.

I was wondering what others think about rhythm and all that jazz.

Henry