[Xmca-l] Re: (no subject)

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 28 11:36:09 PST 2015

Hi Haydi-

This note has been followed by a long thread of productive exchanges
arising from your
discussion with David, so I will be brief, and be responsive in a more
relevant way as questions arise.

For me, the issue of "in the beginning of was the deed" arose first in
connection with Dewey's critical analysis of the reflex arc concept (my
university training is as a mid-20th century American behaviorist learning
theorist - I am literally a third generation Skinnerian). That this
critique came from as far back as Goethe for reasons broader than I could
glimpse earlier in my life. So I really have no idea where you get the idea
that " I thought you and the majority of good colleagues here think of
Vygotsky as ignoring the act altogether."

In the first declaration of the idea of what it is now acceptable to call a
cultural-historical theory of activity in English, Luria declared that the
ur act of human beings was to act upon the world in a manner that that
incorporates resources inherited extrasomatically, what I thinking of as
culture, our second nature. In that early statement, in THAT beginning, it
was clearly that "in the beginning is the deed."  The "cultural form of
behavior" was the DEformation of "natural" direct reaching for the
object(ive) by inclusion of extrasomatic stuff into an always hybrid act.

Your discussion with David is so full or things to think about, and the
annotations by Larry and others equally so, that I am left with more than
enough to keep me absent minded! thanks.

mike