[Xmca-l] Re: Hyper-text

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Fri Feb 27 18:11:05 PST 2015

In the late 1830s-1840s, only 1/6 of the adult male population of
Britain - those who owned property - had the vote, and the mass of the
working people of the country organised themselves into a movement known
as the Chartists. Everything was illegal. It was illegal to have
meetings of more than 49 people, illegal to elect representatives or to
correspond with other groups, and in particular, newspapers were subject
to a "stamp duty" which would make any paper too expensive for an
ordinary working joe to buy. There were dozens of illegal, unstamped
papers in circulation, and the prisons filled with people convicted of
writing for or selling them.
What succeeded despite all this in uniting the Chartists into a powerful
national movement was the paper "The Northern Star," which registered
itself and paid the stamp duty which meant that individual workers could
not afford to buy it, so.... they clubbed together and one would read
while others worked, or inn-keepers bought a copy and workers came to
their inn to read it together, or people would come to someone's house
on a Sunday and read together and in a dozen different ways, by poor
people reading together to overcome the high cost of the paper, the
Northern Star became the chief organising instrument of the movement.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/