[Xmca-l] Online teaching conditions survey, NA WD

Helena Worthen helenaworthen@gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:48:30 PST 2015

Hello --

Back about 2 years ago people on the XMCA list helped me distribute a survey sponsored by COCAL (Coalition on Contingent Academic Labor) and UALE (United Association for LAbor Education). That survey got written up and published in Academe, the AAUP magazine.

Then I got an email from a woman in Australia, a member of NTEU, who wanted to run essentially the same survey there, and see how people felt about their working conditions. They did it, and here's the findings:

> http://www.nteu.org.au/library/view/id/5813

It's actually a better survey (bigger sample) than we had, and their findings are very well written up and described. Aside from the fact that it's incredibly flattering to see something you've done repeated.

But another kick was when she asked me about NAWD. I'd never heard it mentioned by initials; she meant National Adjunct Walkout Day, which is February 25, this coming Wednesday. Anybody heard about it? Apparently they know about it in Australia.

Helena Worthen