[Xmca-l] When does an apprentice become an inventor?

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Wed Feb 18 17:57:57 PST 2015

David, collaborative projects are generally something people join rather
than create, just like one usually learns rather than invents, the words
of your native language, but sometimes a person does add a new word to
their language. I wouldn't see any point in drawing a line between those
two "types of word," so long as you recognise that the general idea of a
language is that it exists independently of any individual. The same
goes for projects. It is precisely the absence of any sharp line between
something which is simply interpersonal, whose dynamics are easily
grasped by anyone with life-experience, and those great social projects
which are enscribed in our language, which makes the notion of
collaborative project useful for analysis of social formations.

It is rarely appropriate to ascribe psychological concepts to projects,
but there are concepts which span the psychological and the
cultural-historical domains which are useful in understanding projects.
"Concept" is one of those concepts; we talk about the "Newtonian concept
of momentum" without meaning to make any claim about the psychology of
Isaac Newton, but rather refer to something implicit in certain
well-established scientific forms of  action. At the same time a teacher
might say: "Johnny's concept of momentum still includes the friction
acting against the object" - a concept manifested uniquely in Johnny's
actions in Physics lessons.
The "temporal" issue you pose, David, is one of development: projects
have a life-course which passes through various recognisable phases just
as does an individual human life.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/