[Xmca-l] Re: Verismo and the Gothic

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 15:51:22 PST 2015

There are a number of under-theorized areas in CHAT, and one way to
recognize them is the way through subject lines on xmca. This method is not
entirely fool-proof, because people rightly develop enthusiasms for odd
topics that are actually pretty well theorized in Vygotsky's work
(development itself being one of them). But when we have subject lines on
imagination, on projects, on consciousness, on volition, and on
ethics/politics that run and run and run, it seems to me that somebodies
are trying to tell us something.

It seems to me that the issue of temporality is excellently theorized in
CHAT, at least compared to neighboring disciplines who are still
struggling to distinguish microgenesis from ontogenesis, or micro and
ontogenesis from sociogenesis, or all of the above from phylogenesis.
However, there is a closely related issue which seems less so, and which
does tend to run and run in our subject lines. Let me put it this way: when
does a collaborative project shift from being interpersonal to being
social, and what does this mean for the role of consciousness, volition,
ethics/politics and whether we divide the latter with a slash or with a
dash?

I take it that when we look at a language as a whole--that is, the some
total of all linguistic acts, whether they be inter-mental or intra-mental,
whether they be past, present, or future, carried out by a given speech
community during the rise and fall of a language--the difference between
sense and significance (that is, between actual meaning-making and
potential meaning-making) disappears, or at least recedes indefinitely.
This is really just a way of saying that language use is always, in the
final analysis, concrete and material, not speculative and hypothetical.
Whether, for example, the ancient Aztecs could have written "Fifty Shades
of Grey" if they had not been wiped out by Cortes and his men does not seem
a line of enquiry worth pursuing.

But when we look at literary genres--that is, text types and the registers
of language that can be drawn from them, such as verismo, or the Gothic, or
nineteenth century romaniticism in general--the distinction seems much more
relevant, because playing the game changes the rules: particular acts of
artistic sense-making expand or renew the meaning-making potential of
the genre and leave a kind of meta-text to be carried on as a discourse by
other artists. Catalani does something with verismo and with the Gothic
that was really not done previously, and the step he takes is noticeably in
our direction. The opera doesn't really have good guys or bad guys: La
Wally loves Hagenbach in part because he beats her father, La Wally's
attempt to murder her lover is both justified and not, La Wally's
relationship with Walter is both sexual and chaste (on the crucial night of
Hagenbach's murder, Walter asks her if he can spend the night).  More,
although the opera does have focal characters, we can easily imagine operas
around almost any one of the other characters--even Afra, the bar-maid.

If you have ten minutes to spare for some breathtakingly beautiful music,
just take a moment to compare Wally's "Eh ben? Andro lontan " ("Well, I'm
outta here")  at 32:00 with Afra's "No, con l'amor" ("The heart wants what
it wants") at 45:30. The former is a mega-hit that every ambitious
soprano without exception has to sing and record; the latter is utterly
ignored  by the repertoire as far as I know. Perhaps that is just
because Afra's song isn't an aria but a kind of collaborative
project--Walter and Hagenbach turn it into a trio at 48:00, and the Old
Toymaker comes in almost half a bar later, showing that it is
inter-generational. At the same time, each member of the trio has a very
different interpretation of the song: Afra is warning Hagenbach not to play
with Wally's feelings, Hagenbach thinks Afra is flirting with him, the Old
Toymaker is thinking nostalgic thoughts about a love-life now drowned in
beer suds, and Walter just wants to have fun, which for the moment means
singing a song whose concept he has not grasped at all (but then nobody
else has fully grasped it yet, not even Afra).

Collaborative projects, by definition, cannot have have a single guiding
consciousness, or at least cannot have a single psychology, else they cease
to be collaborative. But at a certain point they also cease to have several
different consciousnesses, and attain a generalized, abstract consciousness
(Andy calls this a consciousness a concept; I think of it as a potential
culture). The problem is precisely a temporal one: when?

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies