[Xmca-l] Re: Elaborations on Nissen's Could Life Be...

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Fri Feb 13 15:27:12 PST 2015

Hi Huw,

You know, I had the exact same experience at an Apple store when I asked how should I build a backup system that didn't involve putting my data in a cloud someplace owned by Apple? The fellow in the genius t-shirt told me he didn't know, but it sure was a good idea.

I am under the distinct impression you are our resident technologist, and so I'm glad the dishwasher piece by Cory Doctorow had meaning for you.

I've never heard the word "mookiness" in fact my autocorrect changed the word to "moodiness" just now! :)

Talk about smoothing over!

I'm guessing perhaps it is a word something like moodiness but with a "K" to sound like "crazy" or "cracked" ?? Please expand on this word for me?

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand: I still am scratching my head to how this ties into the chapter on Humboldt? Have you a copy of this chapter available?

As far as the absence of art being a fad, it's been a fad that has likely been around since the 60s when folk songs and their connection to protests were seen as dangerous thinking in operation. Or even farther back, from the Beat Generation, that first generation to deeply feel the nausea of post-war America.

I welcome your take on this and how you might link this to Nissen's paper Life Could Be…, as our resident propellor head who offends Apple store managers, but is still welcomed by Starbucks baristas.

Kind regards,

Annalisa