[Xmca-l] Re: Elaborations on Nissen's Could Life Be...

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 14:59:01 PST 2015

On 13 February 2015 at 19:56, Annalisa Aguilar <annalisa@unm.edu> wrote:

> Gee whiz, xmcars! my previous post had a lot of typos and I'm sorry for
> that! Thinking is faster than writing sometimes.
>
> Huw,
>
> Help me make your connections? I'm not following.
>
> I'm not sure what you've posted has to do with aesthetic experiences, the
> making of art, and the removal  of these experiences and activities from
> public life. But I hope you'll let me know.

Annalisa,

You mentioned a lack of support for self-sustaining ventures too.

Re the dishwasher-brainwasher piece, actually I think you can see an intent
to transfer the mentality of vertical design (apple's market) into social
mannerisms -- a way of speaking that conveys the smoothing away of wrinkles
(through design, of course).

I personally own some mac products and am pleased with them, but it wasn't
that mookiness that I was buying into.  When I needed a backup device -- I
really have no interest or recollection of what name their given -- I
walked into a local store, up to a guy who was free, who happened to be the
store manager, and asked for one of their "remote back up kits".  To a
technical guy this would have been perfectly reasonable, but the person I
spoke to looked pretty affronted.  Smoothness vanished and instead I got
waspish comments about where to find it.  On the other hand, whenever I
venture into a starbucks the staff never seem to mind when I ask for a
medium (sized) coffee.

Anyway, with respect to the absence of art.  I suspect this is more about
fashions in the similitude of art.  Which I suppose is equally problematic
if the fashion is to consider the similitude of art as art.

Best,
Huw